Fulford battlefied under threat

July 2015 dig

The Fulford Tapestry

Documentation

Summary of published report

Visiting the site

Home
Up
COYC Chief Executive
Documentation
N Yorks Police
Did the water vole colony survive the destruction of their habitat
Vole track in mud

NEW

Images of flood on the day of the battle

12 panoramas of the battle site

YouTube videos

The Fulford Tapestry

All History Guide: Your guide to history on the Internet..

Finding Fulford cover

Kindle version

" .. this unusual, and yes, excellent history book.." 

"More books like this one introducing historical study in a sympathetic was are needed.."

Now in paperback

... and into its 3rd reprint!

 

Provided to the Police

Evidence in chronological orders of events

    Images taken on 19 February 2009 during archaeological survey work. These have the title ‘newvoleholes’.

    Letter written to City of York Council and sent on 25 February 2009 alerting them to the existence of the voles. I spoke to the council by phones to find who to send the letter and I also copied it by email to the environmental officer, Bob Missin. It was also copied to the Fulford Parish Council. When the CYC failed to respond I phoned them and sent copies by email on 6th March 2009.

    On 6th May 2009 To Chief Executive using the email system for comments and complaints. I attached a copy of the original letter.

    I had an email reply the same day saying that a reminder had been forwarded both to Bob Missin and Planning group for their immediate attention but I heard nothing.

    On Saturday 23rd May 2009 I went to the beck to gather cow parsley which use to make a dye for the thread for the tapestry (in the style of the Bayeux tapestry) that I have designed to describe the battle of Fulford and discovered the habitat had been destroyed. These photos were taken by Anthony Ravenhall using his phone camera.

    The following day 24th May 2009 I returned to the same site of the images taken on 18th February to confirm my suspicions and took another series of images to provide a ‘before and after’ set. (The visit reminded me just how inaccessible the area is).

    On June 1st 2009 I wrote to the chief executive of the council to complain about the destruction

    On 12th June I was phoned by Dan Calvert from CYC who had not seen any of the correspondence so I sent him copies of the letters.

    On 15th June I was phoned by Dan Calvert from CYC who told me that he had been unable to trace person responsible. (My diary says I met Dan Calvert on 16th)

    I heard nothing so on 29th June I contacted the council and the police.

    On 6th July I was contacted by Dan Calvert to say that he had identified the people who did the work and offered their explanations and mitigations.

    The following day I replied disputing that the excuses offered were credible and appealing to Dan Calvert to answer the questions raised as I was so used to being mis-informed by officers.

I have attached a number of other documents including copies of the emails and information from Natural England which are in the same folder.

[And I added a list of contacts who were witnesses to all this]

20 July 2009

 

 

Related sites Facebook  Twitter (@ helpsavefulford)        Visiting Fulford        Map York

There is a site devoted to saving the battlesite: The site has the story of the process that has allowed the site to be designated an access road to a Green Belt, floodplain housing estate.

And another website for the Fulford Tapestry that tells the story of the September 1066: This tells the story embroidered into the panels.

The author of the content is Chas Jones - fulfordthing@gmail.com  last updated June 2015

this site does not use any cookies - so nothing is knowingly installed on your computer when browsing